Monday, June 18, 2012

Patriotic Shorts!

My friend Katie loves to dress up the entire week for 4th of July. A few weeks ago she asked if I could make her a dress, which I'm still working on but we also came up with the idea to do flag shorts. I had seen some in stores and really wanted to make some. I love how they turned out. Here's what you'll need:
  • White Shorts!
  • Red and Blue Fabric spray paint (about $5 each at Joanns)
  • Star Pattern 
  • Painters Tape
  • Scrap Paper
  • Cardboard
  • Scissors 



To make your stars you are going to lay strips of painters tape so they overlap and make a small square of tape. Use your star pattern, trace onto the top of this tape and cut it out. Make as many stars as you like and they're going to go on the left front side of your shorts. The stripes are even easier, I made mine about two tape strips wide-make sure they overlap a bit.


This is how your shorts will look taped up. Use the extra paper and take off half of the shorts so the colors wont blend. Make sure to put a piece of cardboard as wide as the leg opening, this will help keep your shorts flat and not let the paint bleed through. 
I'd suggest a few test pieces with the spray paint, mine dripped a bit which then let it bleed under my stars, but I actually liked how they weren't completely perfect. Let it dry before doing taping up the other side.


Amazing! That is it. Seriously simple.



And Seriously adorable!


 This is another pair of her shorts, I covered her back pockets with fabric and unrolled her hem to add the same fabric. The bow isn't attached but I made it out of the same fabric. Super cute. 


And this is the fabric for the dress, going to be great!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips